Spring is really beginning to heat up in San Jose. While the rains are probably not completely over, it looks like there will be some beautiful weather coming up, so why not plan to go out for tea? A tea picnic at one of San Jose’s parks like the San Jose Municipal Rose Garden, History Park, or Guadalupe River Park and Gardens is a great idea, but you can also keep your tea party closer to home, in your own front or back yard, or bring your tea to a friend’s house to share with them. If you’d rather have someone else do the cooking, check out these local events, beginning on May 1, or May Day, a traditional mid-spring celebration:
1. Visit Tyme for Tea during the Niles Town Plaza Celebration: Sunday, May 1 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Niles Town Plaza, 37592 Niles Blvd., Fremont. (510) 742-9868. Free admission to the Celebration. Or, attend the Mother & Me Champagne Tea: May 7 and 8, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. sittings. $33 (adult), $26 (child), reservations required. Tyme For Tea, 37501 Niles Blvd., Fremont. (510)790-0944.
2. Visit Lovejoy’s Tea Room or the Samovar Tea Lounge after the Art Deco Walk through the Marina with the Art Deco Society of California: Sunday, May 1. Tour admission: $10. Tours are canceled in inclement weather. Call 415-982-DECO day of tour for latest advisory. For more information or questions, email ADSC or call 415.982.DECO (415.982.3326). Lovejoy’s Tea Room: (415)648-5895 and Samovar Tea Lounge on Sanchez St. (415) 626-4700
3. Let’s Go To Afternoon Tea — Mother’s Day 2011, In Style! Saturday, May 7, 1:30 p.m. at the The Garden Court, Palace Hotel, 2 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA. Cost: $67.50 per person. Reservations required.
4. Mother’s Day Parent/Child Tea Party: Saturday, May 7, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. at Treehouse in the Glen, 1275 Lincoln Ave, Suite 2, San Jose. (408)294-8699. Advance payment and reservation required.
5. Mother’s Day Luncheon And Evening Teas: Saturday and Sunday, May 7 and 8. Lisa’s Tea Treasures, 377 Santana Row #1145, San Jose. (408) 247-3613. Reservations required.
7. Mother’s Day Storybook Tea: Sunday, May 8, 2011. 2 pm at the Empire Firehouse, History Park, 1650 Senter Rd., San Jose. FREE (donations accepted)
8. Japanese Tea Ceremony at 12th Annual Matsuri (Festival): Sunday, May 15, 2011, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Hakone Gardens, Saratoga. Free admission; parking is $15 per vehicle at Hakone, or free parking at Saratoga High School with a free shuttle bus to Hakone.
9. Visit Dreams Collectibles and Tea Room: 1203 Lincoln Avenue, San Jose. (408)279-5800. Store open Tuesday through Sunday; tea by reservation only, Friday through Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m.
10. Petit Four Class and Tea: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 12:30 p.m. Class at Petit Fleurs, 41364 Paseo Padre Parkway, Fremont. Cost: $52.83 per person. Tea at 3 p.m. at Cynthia’s Tea Garden, 40985 Fremont Blvd, Fremont. Reservations required.
Copyright 2011, Elizabeth Urbach.
For more information:
History San Jose‘s History Park
San Jose Municipal Rose Garden
Guadalupe River Park Conservancy
“The Marina – San Francisco Neighborhoods” from SFGate
Lisa’s Tea Treasures
“What should I keep in the pantry for tea parties?”
“Chocolate and tea: the perfect match?”
“Tea 101: how to have a tea party for children”
“Birthday gift ideas for the San Jose tea lover”
“Review: Lisa’s Tea Treasures – Campbell location”
“Gift ideas for the San Jose tea-lover”
“5 gifts you can make with tea”