Memorial Day in San Jose means the beginning of the summer season, so iced tea regains its popularity as one of the most refreshing drinks around! There are many ways to make iced tea and even some equipment especially made for preparing and serving iced tea, but however you make it, make sure to bring some with you as you attend Memorial Day activities this weekend. Pack your iced tea in an insulated container or two, and head out to one of these San Jose area events before going home for your barbecue, or bring a tea picnic:
1. Family Event to Honor Those Defending Our Freedoms. Joint service with Spanish translation. Special program for children. Barbecue will be served following the service. 10:30 a.m.-noon Sunday. International Christian Center, 3275 Williams Rd., San Jose. 408-243-0256.
2. United Veterans Council Memorial Day Observance at Oak Hill Memorial Park. Memorial ceremony honoring Japanese-American veterans. There will also be a keynote address, music performance and the posting of colors. Presented by The United Veterans Council of Santa Clara County. 10 a.m. Monday. 300 Curtner Ave., San Jose. 408-297-2447
3. Memorial Day Ceremony at Central Park. Event will honor the country’s veterans. 3 p.m. Monday. 1500 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara. 408-615-2260.
4. Memorial Day ceremony at Milpitas City Hall. Event will honor local service members who have given their lives for the cause of freedom. Additionally, there will be a presentation of colors by the Nights of Columbus, a 21-gun salute and reflections on our nation’s day of remembrance. 9 a.m. Monday. 455 E. Calaveras Blvd. 408-586-3210.
5. Memorial Day Concert featuring the San Jose Metropolitan Band: 10am-11:30am, May 30, 2011. At Los Gatos Memorial Park, 2255 Los Gatos Almaden Road, San Jose, CA 95124. Free admission.
6. Memorial Day Weekend San Jose Sports Fan Package: San Jose SaberCats vs. Georgia Force, Saturday, May 28 – 7:30 PM at the HP Pavilion. $15 per person- Gets you one (1) lower level end zone ticket to SaberCats game May 28 at HP Pavilion, 7:30PM & one (1) SJ Giants game during Memorial Day Weekend at Municipal Stadium (May 29, 5 PM or May 30, 2 PM). Make checks payable to: San Jose SaberCats. Mail payments to San Jose Sabercats, Attn: Jennifer Schwarzbach, 600 E Brokaw Rd., San Jose, CA 95112.
7. FanimeCon 2011: Annual anime convention in San Jose, May 27 – 30 at the San Jose Convention Center, Market St., San Jose.
Luckily, most restaurants in San Jose sell iced tea, so you can enjoy a nice glass of tea while taking advantage of the many Memorial Day restaurant specials in San Jose over the weekend. McDonald’s even sells southern-style sweet tea. Iced tea is a great way to use tea bags, especially if you use the cold-brew method of making it. Sitting in the sun listening to speeches, watching parades, throwing a barbecue or enjoying a picnic in one of San Jose’s gardens will be a lot more comfortable with a supply of nice cold tea to refresh you!
Copyright 2011, Elizabeth Urbach.
For more information:
“San Jose Memorial Day Weekend 2011 Events Guide”
“Memorial Day San Jose 2011 – festivals, fireworks, runs, walks and more”
“Celebrate the Fourth of July with a tea party picnic!”
“Review: Amandine Decanter by Teavana”
“Greet the summer in San Jose with iced tea during Iced Tea Month”
“Take your tea into one of San Jose’s gardens”
“Iced tea and how to make it”
“Bottled tea may contain fewer antioxidants than freshly brewed tea”
“The Elixir of the South: sweet tea”
“How to incorporate tea into your Super Bowl party”
“Bring a tea picnic to the Bay Area-local Mostly British Film Festival”